The record preservation process is the most important element in the entire records and archive conservation operation. The purpose of preservation of archival records is to extend the life of the use of the archival materials for research purposes. Archiving of archive materials is to reduce the risk of damage and slow down records impairment. Prescriptive preservation is a way of identifying and treating or copying damaged records/materials to be conserved for access or reference to users.
Pustaka Negeri Sarawak has established preservation procedure for the preservation of departmental records that are to be transferred to State Records Repository, Pustaka Negeri Sarawak. Each of these processing steps should be followed to meet the standards before being stored and preserved in the Repository.
- Step 1 : Take out the files from archive box
- Step 2 : Write the number behind each record sheet with pencil in descending order from the last sheet to the most front page
- Step 3 : Remove all foreign elements from the file (staples, screws, strings, plasctics, and all material that could damage the file) make a copy of presentation transparency
- Step 4 : Clean up each sheet of records using an archival brush. Use bone folders to smooth the record%u2019s sheet surface. Tear surfaces to be repaired using archival Repairing Tape
- Step 5 : Rearrange files that have been cleaned / processed
- Step 6 : Bind files that have been cleaned up by cotton string
- Step 7 : Measure files with ruler and note in centimeters
- Step 8 : Keep and arrange the file into a clean archive box
DRESS CODE FOR PROCESSING OF RECORDS AND ARCHIVES
- Personal protection must be ensured before undertaking the processing of records and archives.
- Personal protective equipment such as protective gowns and nitrile protective gloves and face mask will complete the personnel protection and at the same time prevent the cross-contamination onto other records or documents
PREPARING THE AREA FOR PROCESSING OF RECORD AND ARCHIVES
- Provide essential space for cleaning process of records and archives
- Food and drink are not allowed
- The space for processing of the records and archives is divided into three areas: Dirty File Area, Cleaning Area, Clean File Area (TRAY)