- About Us
- Depository Services
OBJECTIVES OF DEPOSITORY SERVICES SECTOR
Depository Services Sector is supported by three (3) main Divisions; Archives Management Division (AMD), Records Management Division (RMD) and Sarawakiana Division (SD). The overall objectives of the sector are as below:
- To provide for the preservation and use of library resources or materials published in Sarawak
- To create standard bibliographic records of library resources or materials published in Sarawak
- To maintain statistical records of library resources or materials published in Sarawak
- To maintain, preserve and keep public records which are more than twenty-five years old, and other documents, papers, instruments, and statutes, statutory order, regulations or decrees, directed by State Secretary to be maintained, preserved and kept in the State Depository on account of their historical value or public importance
ROLES AND FUNCTIONS OF DIVISIONS
Records Management Division
- To ensure that departments and agencies of Sarawak State government manage public records well before reaching the age of 25 years under section 14(1)(d) of Sarawak State Library Ordinance,1999.
- Monitor the process of disposal of public records.
- Provide advisory services and guidelines on records management.
- Conduct advisory visits and inspections to the registry and records centre of departments or agencies of the Sarawak State government.
- Conduct records management training programmes.
Archives Management Division
- Promote the preservation of non-active public records (public records which are more than 25 years old) of the State of Sarawak and other documents, papers, instruments and statues, statutory orders, regulations or decrees, directed by the State Secretary to be maintained, preserved and kept in the State Depository on account of their historical value or public appearances.
- Advice and guide government agencies in records transfer to Pustaka Negeri Sarawak.
- Appraise and preserved the records and archives to be transferred.
- Management and operation of secure repositories for the preservation of records and archives.
- Repatriation of Sarawak’s records and archives from outside Sarawak/Malaysia;
- Rescue records and archives created in1963 and before in government agencies;
- Digitize and microfilm selective records and archives that has archival or historical value for the State.
- To regulate and conduct awareness programs on the importance of Archives
Sarawakiana Division is under the purview of Depository Services Sector. The role of the Division is to manage Special Collections in Pustaka comprising of Sarawakiana, Borneo and Malaysiana collection.
The role of Sarawakiana Division as in the Sarawak State Library Ordinance, 1999 are:
- To develop and preserve Pustaka’s niche collection (Sarawakiana Collections) as prescribed under Sarawak State Library Ordinance Cap 29.
- To enforce the statutory provision of the Legal Deposit, as stated under Section 15 of the Sarawak State Library Ordinance, 1999.
- To promote services, programs and activities and makes information accessible to public and researchers as prescribed under Sarawak State Library Ordinance Cap 29.
The Sarawakiana Division mainly deals with rare and archival materials of various topics, formats, periods and publications received or enforced through the Legal Deposit functions. The Special Collections and archives are housed at Special Collections Room, Pustaka Negeri Sarawak, Kuching or repositories at the State Records Repository (SRR).
The Division is supported by three (3) units:
- Legal Deposit Unit
- Special Collection Unit
- Oral History Unit
The functions of the units are:
Legal Deposit Unit
- To ensure that the literary heritage and information in the state is preserved for researchers and scholarly use and for generations to come.
- To acquire and provide library resources or materials published in Sarawak.
- To provide bibliographic records according to the standards based on published materials.
- To maintain statistical records of library resources or materials published in Sarawak.
- To provide awareness, advisory services, promotion and enforcement of Legal Deposit requirements in the state through program/activities and collaborations.
Special Collection Unit
- To develop Sarawakiana Collection through purchase, bequest/donation, content development, oral history,digitization and legal deposit especially on Sarawakiana and Borneo materials.
- To acquire Special Collection materials.
- To enrich Local Content development.
- To process and preserve special collections materials.
- To foster access, use and promotion of services and Special Collections and materials of archival value.
Oral History Unit
- To preserve State’s heritage especially on social and cultural history.
- To document oral history.
- To promote awareness on the importance of Oral History and initiate discussion and training on the oral history practices.
- To process and foster access and use of oral history collections.